18 November 2010

Waiting for Advent

While so many can't wait for Christmas I look forward to Advent - a time when Christians reflect and prepare for the arrival of the infant Jesus. As a child I thought this time would never end, four weeks felt like an eternity. Now as and adult it passes in the twinkling of an eye. I remember all the lovely smells of baked ginger bread and other home-made goodies. My mum started preparing some of them 2-3 weeks before Christmas. I also remember those shimmerings in frost and snow under my feet when we went to the church in the early morning. We would go there holding candles as it was still dark at 6:00. For us this was also a symbol of waiting. Now I wonder: are we ready to wait nowadays? I hope not everyone wants Christmas in November...


It's my daughter's second Christmas this year. Hope next time she will be grown up enough to help me with Advent and Christmas decorations. For now, she helped me to collect fallen, coloured leaves. Her first steps, still a bit wobbly make her very proud :) Today, we are creating an advent wreath. Hope it will be ready tomorrow to share photos with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment